Saturday, April 14, 2012

Easter and April Conference 2012


Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 17:34:50 +0700
From: bryan.todd@myldsmail.net
Hey Family!  Happy Easter!

It was so great to think about the infinite atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I took the time to read each of the four gospels accounts of the atonement and resurrection this last week. I love them all, but I think my favorite is John. I think it's so interesting that John goes into Gethsemane the furthest with the Savior, but he writes the least about the suffering of our master. I feel that is because of the sacredness of what took place there. 
I love the interchange between the resurrected Lord and Mary in John 20. "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou?"  She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, "Sir, if thou have born him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away."
"Jesus saith unto her, Mary."  I wonder how much love must have been in that simple calling of her name. More than I can imagine, I'm sure. "She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni," which is to say, Master.
"Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not (Joseph Smith translation sayd HOLD me not. As if she could will Him to stay there, and out of His infinite love he would, as he did with the Nephites in 3 Nephi 17),  for I am not ascended to my Father: but go unto my bretheren, and say unto them, I ascend to my Father, and your Fatehr; and to my God, and your God."

This week was a solid week for the work. It was cool. Last Monday we had planned to go tracting on one street. We got there and felt like that was not where we needed to be. I had the next street over pop into my head, and could see the street sign in my mind. So I said, lets go there. So we did. We met a man who is from Thailand, but lives in Las Vegas. He said he had a lot of LDS friends, but had never investigated the church, so we gave him a Book of Mormon in Thai and some pass along card for the church's website.  He said that he would go and look it up and talk to his friends about it. I really felt like we were supposed to go there to find him. It was a really cool experience. 

Then on Tuesday, we were teaching a returning member. She said that she had a professor at her college who is from Colorado who was challenging her beliefs and giving her a hard time for being LDS.  He also had questions because her philosophy book said that there couldn't be a God. I had 2 Nephi 2:13 come into my head. I remembered it from my philosophy 101 class at BYU with Professor Mower. So I shared it. I think it's a powerful "if /then" statement. I also, after hearing conference, think of what Elder Russell M. Nelson said about how unlikely it is that an explosion in a printing shop could create a dictionary! That was such a great statement! And I loved it.  It's just impossible for us to be here by chance. Just like Alma 30:44 says "all things denote that there is a Supreme Creator."

Then some fantastic news. Wallop, talked to his boss and got work off on Sundays! So now he can come to church! He even said he wants to come during Songkran! Which is way sweet since basically EVERYTHING will shut down for the 13,14,15. I hear it's pretty sketchy during this national festival... but I'll be careful and not do anything stupid. 

Then on Wednesday, the Bishop and his wife invited us over for dinner. She made tacos. And they were delicious! It's amazing that with the internet she could make tacos in Thailand. Who would have thought?  But I really feel like the Bishop trusts us, and trusts that we are trying to help this ward. I also realized that having four sisters and a mother made me someone who enjoys conversation at meals. It's just so much fun to talk to them, especially since they are respectful and help us focus on the work. 

Then the week was capped off by general conference. So great! I felt so uplifted and edified! We couldn't get the Saturday morning session in English, and I was pretty bummed about that, but Brother Khai was able to gt me a copy of conference on my ipod so that I could listen to it again! I really felt like the importance of the family was stressed, and the importance and responsibilities of preisthood holders too. 

Sorry this isn't the best email. Time is short and everything. I feel like I put more details in this week. I'm tyring to do a better job at that. I promise. I'll leave you all with the words of a scripture that has really impacted me this week. They are the words of the Master Himself. "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall recieve; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (D&C88:66) I hope that you are all STUDYING not just reading in the scriptures daily. Both indiviually and as a family.  I also pray that you are praying daily as families. You're the best and I love you. Thailand is fantastic, and the work is great! Be safe and smart please!

Love.
Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment