Sunday, July 29, 2012

Teaching, Training, Tracting--Chiang Rai



Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Subject: 
From: bryan.todd@myldsmail.net

Hey Everyone!

Can you believe that July is just about over? I am way bummed about it. But things are going well here. We had a good week. The mercies of the Lord were as evident as ever. 

One good experience happened on Monday night. We had just finished a lesson, teaching Ni, and we decided to go see a less-active member named Brother Thuan. So we went to his home. We sat down, and after praying we asked him how he was doing. He said that he had prayed the night before that we would come tomorrow. He said he was feeling tired and weak and was really struggling with everything. He asked for a blessing, and that I be the one to give it. It was an amazing experience. I just really felt like a mouthpiece for the Lord.  I know that the words coming out of my mouth were not my own, but were coming from above.  

I've had the opportunity on my mission many times to give people blessings and to use the priesthood to help others. I would say that those are some of the most powerful spiritual moments on my mission. The spirit is such an amazing feeling. 

This morning Elder Haughton and I were reading in Helaman chapter 5, about the Lamanites feeling the Spirit and allowing themselves to be converted. I love verse 47, "Peace, peace be unto you because of your fatih in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world." 

Peace. That's the message that the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings. The promise of "Peace in this life, and eternal life in the world to come." And that's what the Spirit of the Lord brings to me. Peaceful easy feelings. One thing that I talked about with Elder Thompson last week when we were on exchanges, was finding out what the Lord want's me to do in Chiang Rai, with the branch, my companion, just finding the Lord's will through prayer and scripture study. I challenge you all to do that too; find out what the Lord needs of you. Then consecrate yourself to Him.

We have two new investigators this week. One is Ti from English class. She didn't seem super interested during the time we were teaching her, but she seemed like she wanted to learn  more after class. So, we'll see about that. She works at an internet cafe and is free after 6 always. Then we had a member who has been giving us referrals for a while, but none who we could really teach a whole lot.  Well, she called us the other night and said, "I finally have a referral you can teach." The referral is her roommate who is in college at Mae Fa Luang. She's named Ploi. She is good. We're going to see her tonight, so we'll see how things turn out. Mae Fa Luang is a beautiful campus. Elder Wagstaff and I went to teach there and both felt like it was a college campus in the U.S.-- really nice and clean. So we'll see how willing Ploi is too. 

As for our other investigators, Form is doing well.  He was sick and had to leave church early, but he is really liking what we teach. He is a humble soft spoken guy, but teaches Kung Fu which I would never have expected from him. We've taught him just about everything except tithing. But he should be good on that. He has started praying morning and night and that's making a big difference form him.

Ice was reluctant to meet with us this week. It's rained almost ever day and Thai people hate the rain.  He didn't come to church so we'll have to push his baptism date back... again. I feel bad. The commitment needs to be something he does and that he is totally committed to. But we'll keep working with him. 

Ta slacked off on his reading this week because he was testing. But we helped him get back on track. One thing that we also hit hard with him was to kneel when praying. I believe that it makes all the difference. It helps us humble ourselves too. It's good and important. 

Things here are going well. Sorry this week is so short we're pressed on time. But I love you all! Stay strong. Pray and read your scriptures!

Love, 
Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment