Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving--Thai Missionary Style

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:40:01 +0700
Subject: Week it doesn't really matter what week im on
From: bryan.todd@myldsmail.net

Hey Everyone!

How are you doing? How was Thanksgiving? My Thanksgiving was different than I thought it would be. We were supposed to be here in Roi Et for the branch Thanksgiving activity. But on Wednesday, after district meeting, Sister Itow got a call from Elder Komgrit, (he is an assistant), and he told her she had to be in Bangkok on Thursday at 8:00 AM to renew her visa. She and Elder Wagstaff are in the same MTC group and are on the same renewal track for visa. So he asked her to ask if we had to go down, and we did. We spent Wednesday night on a bus down to Bangkok, got there at about 5:30 in the morning, and went to the Phetchaburi building. That's the building where the temple will be one day. But on Thursday, we got there and waited. Then, they renewed their visas, we ate lunch, and got back on a bus to Khon Kaen so we could take a connector to Roi Et.

We had Thanksgiving dinner out of a little Styrofoam box with rice and some chicken that the bus gave us. It really made me grateful for how blessed we always are at Thanksgiving. I'm sure thanksgiving was fantastic at home, but this year, I really am so grateful that I am on a mission. I love you all alot, but I wouldn't trade my opportunity to be serving here for a meal back at home. There is no work that brings more satisfaction than this. Helping my brothers and my sisters learn of their Savior, and come unto Him is amazing. I am so grateful my Father in Heaven has given me this opportunity.

We got to Khon Kaen at about 9:30 and there were no buses, so we slept at the Zone Leader's house. We finally got to Roi Et on Friday morning. Then I finally got to shower!, After that, I went on an exchange to MahaSarakham. It was good. I learned some good things. Then Saturday we exchanged back then went up to Khon Kaen so that we could get an investigator interviewed. Then I came back to Roi Et. So I spent a lot of time on buses this week.

This week we also had two more investigators interviewed for baptism, June and B. They passed! I'm really excited for them. They are going to baptized, along with Air, next Sunday! I have really been so blessed by the Lord. I work in an amazing area, and branch, I have great investigators, an obedient hardworking companion, and I'm having a fun time along the way.

This week, I was looking through Preach My Gospel and reading about my purpose as a missionary. I was reading the statements on missionary work at the end of chapter 1. I loved the quote by President Howard W. Hunter:
"What does the atonement have to do with missionary work? Anytime we experience the blessings of the Atonement in our lives, we cannot help but have a concern for the welfare of others... a great indicator of our personal conversion is the desire to share the gospel with others."

The lessons that I am learning as a missionary are helping my own conversion to the gospel grow. They are helping me convert myself more and more each day to the gospel of Jesus Christ. These are lessons that are shaping me for the rest of my life. And I thank the Lord for the opportunities that He is giving me to grow. His hand truly is in this work, helping each one of His children progress toward their potential as sons and daughters of a Heavenly King. It is my prayer that we will all become more converted to the gospel, and show God that we appreciate what He has given us, and to show the Savior of the world that we are grateful for His eternal sacrafice by sharing the gospel with all around us. I love you all. I love this church, the message of the restoration. I love the Atonement, and the ability we all have to transform through it. Don't take it for granted. Be safe, faithful, obedient, and diligent. I love you all so much!
Love,
Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment