Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Week--Six Month Mark

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:54:47 +0700
Subject: Another week-- gone already
From: bryan.todd@myldsmail.net

Hey Everyone!

How are you all doing? Things here are just great! I'm actually in shock that this Thursday is already Thanksgiving. I totally forgot about it until yesterday. The branch here announced that this Thursday they are having their วันขอบคฺณพระเจ้า activity on Thursday. Its cool that the word for Thanksgiving, literally translates as "day thank you Lord." But yeah, anyway, I can't believe that November is almost over! It has just gone by so quickly!

This week was just a blur! We did some good things. We got the opportunity to do some service for some members here. It's one thing that Elder Wagstaff and I have found to be a good use of time. It's good because, like we learn in Mosiah 2:17 "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn thatwhen ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." And, in addition to being able to follow the example of Jesus Christ by serving our fellow men, members are more willing to trust us with their friends.

This week we had a total of four referrals contacted, and we still have four more that we have yet to contact. Referrals really are the best way to do this work. When contacting through a referral, the investigator immediately has a friend in the church, and they can ask any question to that friend. They have a support system that a lot of investigators who are found other ways, don't. So, please if you have anyone to refer to the Missionaries, don't hesitate. Don't be afraid either. If we don't share this message of the gospel with our fellowmen, we are being selfish. We are withholding from them, that which will give them peace and happiness in this life, and eternal life in the world to come.

One thing that I learned in my personal study this week that really is helping me is from Preach My Gospel chapter 1, about my purpose as a missionary. The line that says something along the lines of, "as your understanding of the atonement of Jesus Christ grows, your desire to share the gospel with all those around you will grow as well." I was thinking about that. I remembered something that Dave said, about how he tried to always think about the atonement. I thought that if we really try to understand the Savior's atonement, that great sacrifice that he did for us, then we will want everyone to be able to come unto Him, and have the promises of the atonement extended to them.

I love the scripture that reminds us, "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." And D&C 58:42 or Isaiah 1:18 which teach us, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." I am always amazed at the infinite mercy that the Holy One of Israel is always willing to extend. The promise of the atonement is amazing. And I love studying it.


So, we had a good sacrament meeting yesterday. It was one of the highlights of the week. This little kid who is like 9 spoke. He is our landlady's son. Actually, a funny thing is that his real name means "Patriarchal Blessing," and his nickname, everyone here has a nickname, is Jarom. Yeah, they can get away with those names here. His sister is Omni. Anyway, Jarom got up and sung "Called To Serve." It was really good, and he just did it and wasn't really nervous or anything! Then he talked about service.

The Sister's also had a baptism this week! It was a great day for them. It was a little sad for us because we were supposed to have this family come up and be interviewed, but I guess the husband took the car and it was just kind of a mess since they live 80 Kilos outside of the city. Also, Jojo is looking good for his date on the 18 of December. Also we have two new investigators, A and James. They are good, and progressing well!

I'm still loving being in Roi Et! The Zone leaders were down here for an exchange. That was a lot of fun. I was with Elder Kampanat. He is Thai. He is so nice and a way hard-working missionary. He is only on his 9th transfer. I learned a lot from him. He told me the biggesy thing I need to work on, is getting better at Thai. But he said that I speak well enough. I could always improve in all things, though.

Well, I'm loving being here. Elder Wagstaff is awesome! We are just doing great work! Be safe and smart! And write soon!

I love you all. Thank you for your prayers.
Love,
Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment