Thursday, July 14, 2011

Nana's Passing

The morning after Nana's passing, we called the MTC to notify Bud about the news. The director, was so kind and said they'd call Bud in later that day and tell him. Brother Christensen told me that if Bud needed to call home, he was allowed. If, however, Bud didn't feel the need to call, they would have him write us. I never put my phone down all day. I knew how close Bud had been to Nans and I thought he might want a quick phone call home. Bryan and I both wrote him emails as well, telling him about the experience of being with Nana the last few hours of her life and reassuring him that all was well.
The phone never rang.
This afternoon, however, we received this email from Elder Todd. How wonderful for his family that HE actually seemed great, and was reassuring US. Sweet is the peace the gospel brings. Here is his tribute to his grandmother and friend, Nana:


Hey Mom and Dad,

So you're probably surprised to be hearing from me today. I got called down to the district presidency office yesterday, and one of the Presidents, President Bertasso, told me about Nana.
I was grateful that I got to hear it before I got the dear elder letters from you two. Part of me knew when I was getting called down that it was because of Nana. It's so interesting because on p-day I felt like I needed
to write her a letter telling her how much I love her. She won't get it, but I know she knows how much I love her. As I concluded my prayer on Tuesday night berfore I went to bed, I had the thought
come into my head that I am so lucky to be serving my mission while Pa is serving his mission on the other side of the veil. Now I know that Nana is there with him, and its such a blessing to
both of them. So, the reason why I have permission to email is because President Bertasso thought that it would be nice if I thought of some things to say and then to email them home so
they could be read at the funeral. It's not important to me if there isn't time, but I want to share my thoughts about Nana with you anyway.

When I think of Nana, I think of one of the sweetest, most loving people I know. I know that she was a righteous lady, and endured to the end with faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ. When I read Doctrine and Covenants 138:39, I think of Nana. "And our glorious Mother Eve, with many of her faithful daughters who had lived through the ages and worshipped the true and living God." I know that Nana is one of these faithful daughters of a loving Father in Heaven. She always did what was right. I remember for many years she would go with Pa every Tuesday night to serve the Lord in His house. I always heard of her legacy of service, she was always willing to help. She was instrumental in my upbringing as I had the opportunity to spend time almost everyday of my youth with her. She was always an example of kindness. Alma 40:11 tells us that after this life we will return home to the God that gave us life. Verse 12 tells us that the righteous are received into a state of happiness, and that they will rest from trouble, care, and sorrow. I know that Nana and Pa are among these righteous. I find comfort in the fact that I am involved in the same work as they are. We are inviting others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, baptism, repentance, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. I am so grateful for the plan of Slavation. I know that I will see Nana again. I feel blessed to serve as she serves. I believe in Jesus Christ, and I believe Him. I know that through Him, we will all be resurrected. I know that the next time I see Nana, she will have a perfect body, free from pain, and disease. I thank my Father in Heaven for his merciful plan. I know that this gospel is true. Of this I testify in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

It doesn't matter if that is read or not, President Bertasso just wanted me to send something. I hope it helps. I think that it is a tender mercy from the Lord that as I focus this week on the second half of the plan of salvation, I have this experience.
It's harder than when Pa passed because I have to be away from you. But I know that the Lord is there to help me through. That is what the atonement of Jesus Christ is for. To give us the strength we need to bear our burdens. That's something I have learned here. The Lord won't necesserily take our burdens away from us. He will just make us stronger, that we may bear them. It is part of the growing process. I know that this is a blessing for both Nana and Pa. The Lord's hand is in it. His hand is in everything. Sometimes we just have to search for it, but I promise, if we search hard enough we will find it.

I think that I cried yesterday for the first time since at late summer honors. Part of me wishes that I would have gone and seen Nana the day that I left on my mission. But at least I will see her again. Mom and Dad, I love you both so much. You gave me an incredible foundation in the gospel. I try everyday to build upon that foundation. My testimony of this gospel is so much stronger than it was eight weeks ago. I talked to my teacher yesterday after I found out, and I told her what happened. I told her that I was grateful because now when I go to Thailand, I will be able to bear stronger testimony of the Plan of Salvation, the resurrection, and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It makes me so happy that I can bring Joy into the lives of my bretheren. She, being a native Thai told me how grateful she was for my testimony, and that she was grateful that the Thai people would be able to hear from me. I feel the opposite way. I feel so lucky that I get to go teach such an amazing people. I finished Galatians this morning. Reading the New Testament has strengthened my testimony. But I realize while its amazing, there is no purer witness of the Plan of Salvation than the Book of Mormon. I love this book, and this gospel I'm thankful for a father in Heaven who loves all of His children. He truly is Merciful. I'm thankful for Jesus Christ. and His atonement and love for me.

If possible, mom, could you record the service on your iphone, then load it onto the computer burn it onto a CD and send it to me? The twinnies know how to do this.

Well, I love you all so much. The church IS true. Did jen find out? Let me know.

I love you all!

Love,

Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment