Saturday, February 4, 2012

Eyes of Charity

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:39:28 +0700

Hey everybody!

The first thing I want to do this week is share a scripture that I have really enjoyed as I have been reading my Old Testament. It's in 1 Samuel 20:17.
"And Jonathan caused David to swear again, because he loved him, for he loved him as he loved his own soul."
Johnathan is truly an amazing person. His father, Saul, wanted him to betray David and to kill him. But time and time again, Jonathan refused! He was just as qualified to be king of Israel as David was. He was just as brave and just as courageous as David. But when it came down to it, David was the Lord's annointed one. So Jonathan stood beside him, and swore that he would be a faithful friend. Jonathan had charity for David. He loved David as he loved his own soul.

That is something that I am focusing on this week. As a missionary, I get to interact with many different people; members, companions, investigators. And everyone is different. But if we have charity, the pure love of Christ, we can do all things which are expedient unto the Lord. Mom's words echo in my mind, "kill them with kindness."
We have to focus on kindness, and be peacemakers in the world. The Savior said in the Sermon on the mount, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God." (Matt 5:9)

Apparently back when President Hinckley was the prophet, he came to Thailand and visited the Ambassador. The ambassador has a son who got injured in a sports accident, so President Hinckley arranged for the elders in Thonburi (where I am) to go visit the injured son every Monday night to practice English with him. The arrangement is still continuing. I got to go and it was fun! I go with either our District leader Elder Nelson, or his companion Elder Chamberlain (my mtc group) because the teachers are supposed to be two American Elders. It's way cool, and a really special experience to go there.

This week we also had zone conference. It was really good! I love hearing president Smith speak. He always has such good stuff for us! He said Roi Et is getting ready to split into two branches. Then, if they can get Korat to split too, there could be a stake out there soon! I'm so happy! I hope it happens.

He also talked about two more stakes being created in Bangkok! There isn't really a time frame for that, but it's what were looking at. I guess Cambodia just submitted for two stakes. As a country, it was opened after Thailand, but will have two staked before Thailand. That's kind of sad, but the work must go forth!

I forgot my study journal so I'll write more via snail mail about Zone Conference.

We also had two investigators pass their baptismal interviews. They're getting baptized on Saturday! That will be wasy sweet! I really like it here. The bishop is great. He is really pushing for the members to go to the temple. That's one thing I miss--the temple. But the time will come!

Well, that's all today! I love you!
Love,

Elder Todd
P.S. Read and pray daily, and be safe!

1 comment:

  1. We love the story in the OT about David and Jonathan. Love you Bud!

    ReplyDelete